Confused about various meditation techniques?


Confused about various meditation techniques?




It is very common for a newbie in the path of spirituality to attempt to gain a lot of knowledge about meditation and various methods of doing the meditation. When I started to explore about meditation through various books, interviews of spiritual gurus and teachers, numerous youtube videos and other sources, it was quite amazing. I wanted to read more and more to gain all the knowledge. However, gradually this excess flow of information resulted into frustration and confusion. I was totally confused about which meditation method to be practiced. Somehow I was more inclined towards buddhist practices. But within buddhism also, range of practices are prevalent like watching your breath, scanning your body, observing body senses, chanting mantras, walking meditation and other mindfulness practices. When it comes to breathe, some teachers want you to watch breathe in navel area and while other wants you to concentrate near nose area. Same situation prevails in hinduism like chakra mediation, kundalini yoga, raja yoga, kriya yoga etc.

It is more frustrating when learned teacher claims that their method is the only one to achieve the liberation. Infact, I was spending more time in analysis of various meditation methods than spending time in actual meditation. This was kind of becoming stress booster rather than stress buster for me.

Way out

And then I got the way out. One learned man gave me a metaphor. Let me try to produce our conversation below:

Learned Man: Do you drink alcohol?

Me: Occasionally

Learned Man: What you prefer? whisky, vodka, wine, rum, beer or any other alcohol based drink?

Me: whisky mostly

Learned Man: Why not other drinks?

Me: I think whisky suits my body

Learned Man: and why you drink whisky.

Me: to get high.

Learned Man: so other drinks do not have capability to make you high?

Me: any alcohol based drink can make me high.

Learned Man: so what is important whisky or alcohol content in it?

Me: but obvious, alcohol content  

Learned Man: similarly, it is important you to understand what is the essence in each of the meditation technique. Once you are clear about the essence, technique will not have any meaning for you.   

Me: but how…

Learned Man: in any of the meditation technique, prime objective is to occupy your mind in some form of subject so that your mind does not dwell in past or future. Subject can be in form of breathe, body scanning, yoga postures, mantras, pictures of god or gurus, candle light or any other subject. Essence here is that your mind should not be analyzing the past moment nor planning the future moment. Meditation is mindfulness. Meditation is present moment.  Meditation is now moment. Meditation is awareness. Meditation is consciousness.

Subject of meditation is not important. What is important is how long you stay in present moment. If you stay longer in the present moment, you can see the path of liberation. Purpose of subject is to make you stay in present moment. If you stay longer in the present moment (through whatever form of subject), you will be going to be liberated.

Me: wow. Making some sense.  But how do you stay in present moment for long hours. Mind is always running here and there.

Learned Man: Practice. Period. Only constant practice will help you to stay longer in mindfulness. You need to take baby steps. It is impossible of a new aspirant to be in mindfulness for more than 5 minutes. It happens gradually. Start with 30 seconds then move to 1 minute,2 minute, 3 minute and so on. It is a gradual process. Today I can be in present moment for continuous period of 2 hours. This is because in my earlier days, I successfully meditated for 30 seconds, then successfully meditated for 1 minute and then successfully meditated for 2 minutes and so on.

Me: What is your mediation practice.

Learned Man: I practice vipassana meditation i.e. mindfulness of breathe and mindfulness of body sensations. This is when I sit for long meditation sessions. During entire day, I try to be mindful of the activity that I am performing.

Whatever state of mind I am in, without fail I try to remain mindful of following activity:

·         Early in the morning, first thing that I do is drink 1.5 litre of warm water. I do it mindfully with complete awareness of my hand holding the glass, water touching my mouth, warmth of the water, water moving downwards through throat. Completely merge in the process.  Believe me when I complete this activity, I get the same high as you get drinking 180 ml of neat whisky. This is how I turn water into whisky.

·         Mindful of each of my activity while brushing teeth. I am aware that I have taken brush in my hand. I am aware of taking paste. I am aware of the fact that brush is touching the teeth. I remain aware of each and every process associated with brushing.

Me: Amazing. I should also try turning water into whisky. Is this a easy process?



Learned Man: This is a simple process but not easy. As I said earlier only constant practice will make this happen.  Even today before I start meditation I pray to following being and ask for their blessing for successful attempt of the mindfulness. This gives lot of strength.

·         Pray to all souls who have attained Arihanthood (free from wordly desire)

·         Pray to all gurus and teachers who guide us through this path.

·         Pray to all brothers and sisters who are walking in this path.



For example, if I want sit for 20 minutes meditation, I pray like thus:

·         I pray to all souls who have attained Arihanthood for their blessing and help me attempt my 20 minutes meditation session.

·         I pray to all gurus and teachers who guide us through this path for their blessing and help me attempt my 20 minutes meditation session.

·         I pray to all brothers and sisters who are walking in this path for their blessing and help me attempt my 20 minutes meditation session.

In my earlier days, even out of 20 minutes, if my mind remains in present moment for 2 minutes, it is a huge success. Those 2 minutes are so precious. Atleast for 2 minutes I was awakened, I was enlightened, I was liberated. Most beautiful 2 minutes of my life.

With practice, this 2 minutes became 3 minutes, 4 minutes, 5 minutes and gradually I started feeling another dimension of life.

Me: I pray to you. Please give your blessings.

Learned Man: Please note that life has simple rule. There are only two options in life. Mindfulness and Unmindfulness. Mindfulness is also known as present moment, now, consciousness, pure awareness, no mind, observant.

Unmindfulness is also known as past, future, unconscious, ego mind and unobservant.

More you stay with mindfulness, you are bound to achieve enlightenment.

More you stay with unmindfulness, you are bound to achieve suffering.



   






















Popular posts from this blog

Awesome Spiritual Movies